This Asian-inspired dish – Sung Choy Bao aka Chinese Lettuce Wraps – has it all. It’s delicious; it’s healthy; it’s low in carbs; it doesn’t take much effort to prepare; anyone can attempt it and get fantastic results; and the complexity of the flavors makes it perfect for entertaining friends either casually or as part of a really sophisticated evening . You can even make it well ahead of time, so you don’t have to spend time in the kitchen when your guests arrive. So, if you want to maintain your healthy lifestyle or your weight loss program while entertaining, this dish is a really great choice. You can make it using chicken or pork. Here, we made it using pork shoulder.
The amounts given below will serve two people as an appetizer, or four people as a little something to welcome guests when they arrive. It would serve one person if you wanted it as an evening meal. Scale up the quantities as needed if you’re entertaining a lot of guests.
Ingredients (serves 2 – 4 people)
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 9oz / 250g of pork or chicken, finely chopped (or buy it minced/ground if you prefer)
- 8oz / 220g of canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Thai fish sauce
There are a few simple steps to cooking the dish.
1. Fry the shallot and garlic for a minute or two in the oil over a medium heat.
2. Add the pork/chicken, the chilli, and the five spice powder and cooking for about a further five minutes
3. Add the water chestnuts and cook for another minute
4. Finally add the soy sauce and the fish sauce, stirring continuously, and continue cooking until the liquid has reduced to a sticky glaze on the meat and water chestnuts
5. Cool, and then put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
To serve, spoon into leaves of baby gem lettuce, and eat with your hands.
This recipe is copyright 2012 Healthstyle Hacks. All Rights Reserved.
This healthy eating recipe is sponsored by Fitness Meter for iPhone
If you’re looking to get healthier, or improve your physical condition, Fitness Meter is a really great app for helping you do that. Check out the app web-site, or see the app on the Apple iOS App Store.